Got a Freestyle Buggy at last!

Phaeton

Moderator
Staff member
If I remember correctly it was just a matter of taking metal off the back face until such time as the bolt head was able to lay flat, then drill out the threads, but the last time I did it was over 12 years ago, Bumble was SVA's not IVA'd so I think it was 2009.
 

250buggys

Active member
Chopped out and ground down the front braces today to fit the coil-overs.

Screenshot_2022-04-10-15-11-45.png

Recon I have lost sone longitudinal strength in the chass but the trade off should be worthwhile.....

The front end of the Freestyle had no real suspension travel at all so to speak. Every single pot hole would send a big shudder down your spine....

I ordered the 50 X 50mm angle and was going to weld up as per Alan's write up (thanks Alan). Had a few issues as the battery strap I made ate into this space and also as you can see I have mounted my brake tees under here for the flexi pipes so what I did was use the existing suspension mount brackets Dave welded on.

Going to be a nice adjustable festure to the buggy and looking forward to getting this dialed in soon.

Buggy is jacked up at the moment waiting on the rear hubs and Sierra calipers back from the machine shop :)

Hoping to get the buggy on the road for 1st May just in time for summer. :)
 

Danny

Administrator
Chopped out and ground down the front braces today to fit the coil-overs.

View attachment 1705

Recon I have lost sone longitudinal strength in the chass but the trade off should be worthwhile.....

The front end of the Freestyle had no real suspension travel at all so to speak. Every single pot hole would send a big shudder down your spine....

I ordered the 50 X 50mm angle and was going to weld up as per Alan's write up (thanks Alan). Had a few issues as the battery strap I made ate into this space and also as you can see I have mounted my brake tees under here for the flexi pipes so what I did was use the existing suspension mount brackets Dave welded on.

Going to be a nice adjustable festure to the buggy and looking forward to getting this dialed in soon.

Buggy is jacked up at the moment waiting on the rear hubs and Sierra calipers back from the machine shop :)

Hoping to get the buggy on the road for 1st May just in time for summer. :)

I think you may need to uprate those :D thats a lot of pressure on those welds... I welded and shaped 2 angle irons together then bolted them and even then I wondered if it was going to ok :D
 

250buggys

Active member
I think you may need to uprate those :D thats a lot of pressure on those welds... I welded and shaped 2 angle irons together then bolted them and even then I wondered if it was going to ok :D
Thanks Danny, I may revisit that then.
 

250buggys

Active member
Recon Danny was right, those welds were going to fail at some point most likely down a green lane.

So I found some channel and made a bracket.

Channel.JPG


Chopped the old brackets out.


Chop.JPG


Fitted new bracket.


Mount2.JPG



Lick of paint

Mount.JPG

Hopefully should be a bit stronger.
 
Top