Got a Freestyle Buggy at last!

Phaeton

Staff member
What I was meaning was you won't be able to fill it to the top as air will get trapped in the bit above the pipe inlet, put a couple of REDlines on the image but they aren't very clear.

DSC_2166.JPG

Re the driven/freewheel, on my first buggy I had the magnet on the front offside wheel, it passed SVA, it's 12-10 years ago now but I don't think it was actually tested other than when it was driven around the yard to test self straightening. I quickly changed it though it was unreliable, the speedo would suddenly jump from 30 to 50 & back again, quite a few of us had this issue hence seeking out the terratrip option, I also had a moment when the magnet came very close to my head at around 60mph when the adhesive let go. However having said all that there are lots of car out there now with this method, it may well be the electronics are better, we were pretty early on in Acewell's history when we adopted them.

As to repeaters get some of those low profile stick on ones, bring the wires through the edge trim & then bond them to the inside of the arch with silicon

Lilspeed

My speedo magnet is screwed into a little L shaped piece of steel, which is strapped onto an inner CV joint with a jubilee clip. Sensor is on a bracket bolted to diff flange.
Works a treat . . . even when the CV boot came off and the whole caboodle got smothered in moly grease. :)

250buggys

Phaeton":38v27ao4 said:
What I was meaning was you won't be able to fill it to the top as air will get trapped in the bit above the pipe inlet, put a couple of REDlines on the image but they aren't very clear.

Hi Alan its a valid point but the fuel outlet is as close to the top as I could get it and the top of the tank is very narrow so I don't think it will be too much of an issue.

Capture.JPG

I have a SS fire extinguisher tank that I may well use for better range.

IMG_20170611_145007.jpg

250buggys

Lilspeed":23tm5nub said:
My speedo magnet is screwed into a little L shaped piece of steel, which is strapped onto an inner CV joint with a jubilee clip. Sensor is on a bracket bolted to diff flange.
Works a treat . . . even when the CV boot came off and the whole caboodle got smothered in moly grease. :)

Thanks for that info Justin, sounds like a really good idea. I may well do something similar.

Phaeton

Staff member
250buggys":2ny3r1z4 said:
The 9 inch 12V electric fan I had was too big and fouled the fuel filler, thinking a 7 inch fan which has a 8 inch housing may also be too big. 6 inch fans seem to be hard to find but think it will be a worthwhile addition for cooling if I can find one, there must be motorbike fans out there for small rads, just need to keep trawling through ebay.
I used to have a pair of Kawasaki fans on mine at one point, let me look in the workshop tomorrow to see if I still have them, you can have the for postage if they I still do & if they are of any use, even to mock up
250buggys":2ny3r1z4 said:
Noted Alan's comments on the forum recently to another member about beefing up the hand brake cable brackets so they don't flex under loading. Removed these and will strengthen before re-fitting, this expert knowledge really helps novice builders.
This is what the forum is all about it's just a shame that Photobucket got greedy as the images often helped.

250buggys

Phaeton":1md92v9b said:
250buggys":1md92v9b said:
The 9 inch 12V electric fan I had was too big and fouled the fuel filler, thinking a 7 inch fan which has a 8 inch housing may also be too big. 6 inch fans seem to be hard to find but think it will be a worthwhile addition for cooling if I can find one, there must be motorbike fans out there for small rads, just need to keep trawling through ebay.
I used to have a pair of Kawasaki fans on mine at one point, let me look in the workshop tomorrow to see if I still have them, you can have the for postage if they I still do & if they are of any use, even to mock up
250buggys":1md92v9b said:
Noted Alan's comments on the forum recently to another member about beefing up the hand brake cable brackets so they don't flex under loading. Removed these and will strengthen before re-fitting, this expert knowledge really helps novice builders.
This is what the forum is all about it's just a shame that Photobucket got greedy as the images often helped.

Thanks Alan, yes pls let me know if you still have the bike fans.

Just thinking now I have swapped out the mini pusher for a MG puller fan should the electric fan on the outside be a pusher?

Danny

Administrator
250buggys":2i0ger93 said:
Phaeton":2i0ger93 said:

Thanks Alan, yes pls let me know if you still have the bike fans.

Just thinking now I have swapped out the mini pusher for a MG puller fan should the electric fan on the outside be a pusher?

with an MG fan (think I have one) that will be sucking air through the rad over the engine so the electric fan needs to be a blowy fan to work with the sucky :D

I had both fitted to my A series engine... when I was caning it the mechanical fan kept it cool and when I got to a stop ie roundabout or junction the electric fan handled the rest :D

Phaeton

Staff member
Nope sorry looked today, couldn't see them, strange as they are not the type of thing I throw away

250buggys

Phaeton":d9vc1sum said:
Nope sorry looked today, couldn't see them, strange as they are not the type of thing I throw away

Thanks for having a look, found a small pusher fan on ebay for an ATV so will order that.

Phaeton

Staff member
file.php

How is the reach from the seat to the gearstick, we often cut out the vulcanised part & then re-weld the top part at a more convenient angle

250buggys

:-\
Phaeton":2yvk0anb said:
file.php

How is the reach from the seat to the gearstick, we often cut out the vulcanised part & then re-weld the top part at a more convenient angle

I am pretty happy with the reach and the stick doesn't get in the way of my knee when changing gear too much.

I did try and chop further to go below the vulcanised but my hacksaw wouldnt cut through it, may have been stainless?? and didn't fancy welding the top mild steel section to that.

250buggys

wagon_1.0":2y71ja28 said:
Tidy job. Like your clutch line, i was just laughing at how shit my copper brake & clutch were last night :D

Thanks Wagon, just need to order some more flexi hose fittings and I'll get the brake lines done too.

Danny

Administrator
just cut the chunky bit off then weld the thread to the thin bit :D if your knee remotely touches the knob... ooohhh errr... it will ache :D

250buggys

Danny":2512hc3g said:
just cut the chunky bit off then weld the thread to the thin bit :D if your knee remotely touches the knob... ooohhh errr... it will ache :D

Danny, I tried that but the part in the photo I don't think is mild steel. My hacksaw cut through the top part but the other end I don't think I can weld to.

I don't mind a bit of throw on the gear stick but your right if it compromises driving position then I will have another look.

thumbnail.jpg

Danny

Administrator
if you cut down chunky bit and peel it away...

I welded mine up ok (well the second time was better)

Send it to me if you want me to tig it :D

250buggys

Danny":243j6x57 said:
if you cut down chunky bit and peel it away...

Send it to me if you want me to tig it :D

Cool thanks for the offer, :-D

Phaeton

Staff member
Danny":2av04vum said:
Yes Danny we remember it well, running around a small Welsh town looking for somebody with a welder to weld ti back together again after it came off in your hand at a set of lights ROFL

250buggys

Phaeton":1f3uiica said:
Danny":1f3uiica said:
Yes Danny we remember it well, running around a small Welsh town looking for somebody with a welder to weld ti back together again after it came off in your hand at a set of lights ROFL

Mole grips also have many uses!

Danny

Administrator
Phaeton":15vwxizb said:
Danny":15vwxizb said:

not forgetting the time was when I was in the middle of roadrage with some sheep shagger