VOSA Emailed over Tank

Phaeton

Staff member
Probably not a lot, other than you can get it down a little lower, you don't have the diagonal to contend with & I think there is just more space.

Alan...

jason_l

I have a small 2kg alloy fire extinguisher here that i could get made up as a small tank. I am planning on getting all the weld on alloy fittings for my tanks anyway so could easily get a few extra to make this one up as a tiny tank.

If we use this as a 'CLUB' tank then people can install it in thier buggy before IVA and then pass it on to the next person after IVA and instal their own tank where they want? Let me know if people would be interested in this. Or someone can have this small fire extinguisher and knock something up themselves?

Jason  ;D

Skirrow

jason_l":17f5ljdv said:
I have a small 2kg alloy fire extinguisher here that i could get made up as a small tank. I am planning on getting all the weld on alloy fittings for my tanks anyway so could easily get a few extra to make this one up as a tiny tank.

If we use this as a 'CLUB' tank then people can install it in thier buggy before IVA and then pass it on to the next person after IVA and instal their own tank where they want? Let me know if people would be interested in this. Or someone can have this small fire extinguisher and knock something up themselves?

Jason  ;D

Where does the little tank go and how does it get around the IVA rules? I'm still trying to decide if I should just flog mine as I can't see me ever getting it through the IVA, especially at £500...

tiggersmini

At the mo I'm thinking of sucking it and see aproach and sticking with the behind the seat tank, but i,m building a frame work around the tank and covering it with sheet steel, so the whole tank will be incased. Will do something similar with the filler neck, but will decide when the tanks in place. Plus it will have two other fire walls. If it fails will ask the nice inspector man where he thinks it should be installed to satsify him.
Like the idea of a fuel tank inside some side pods.
I want to use digital led gauges, do I need a special fuel sender, or use a mini sender wired up to the led fuel gauge???? When I get this sorted I can get the tank in.

Boyd

BRUC3

Would tiggersmini's idea work that he posted above?

Is their any particular reason as to why you cant just encase the behind the seat tank?

Also what decides if its a firewall/bulkhead? Is there a certain thickness it has to be?

Phaeton

Staff member
BRUC3":jljdnf7q said:
Would tiggersmini's idea work that he posted above?

Is their any particular reason as to why you cant just encase the behind the seat tank?

Also what decides if its a firewall/bulkhead? Is there a certain thickness it has to be?

My take & bear in mind it is only may take is it won't pass. Because the gear linkage & brake cables come under the tank it is not possible to seal it properly as a firewall. However I was looking at this over the weekend when my seats were still out & I was noticing how much legroom I was losing. What I was considering was effectively cutting my tank in two & only having it behind the passenger seat, or making a new one slightly larger than that, but again to go just behind the passenger seat. Now if you did do that it could be completely sealed, remember no fluid must be able to get into the passenger compartment if it leaks. As to thickness of the firewall, I don't think it specifies

Alan...

BRUC3

I get what your saying about teh handbrake cables now.

Seeing as im a short arse (5''8), and my girl friend is even smaller (5''5)... would it be possible to move the seats a few extra inches forward, and get a more squarish tank made up to fit behind the passenger seat only as you described, and surround it with a firewall? Im assuming this only has to be some sheel metal?

The only reason I say move the seats forward a couple of inches is so the tank could be that little bit bigger?

Phaeton

Staff member
That's exactly what i was thinking, I very very rarely carry a passenger, if you drilled the floor to let fuel leak & also built a ridge up so the firewall sat into it, I 'think' you should be okay, but as with all these things it's down to the inspector on the day. If you do go down that route, I would consider sending an email off to VOSA to get their views, or depending where your local VOSA IVA centre is, dropping in & talking to the guys there.

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

Alan you absolute god! I can't believe i never thought of having it only behind one seat!! Mind you the radiator is in the way on the left hand side, but the drivers legroom in my case is mor important..... I will discuss and mock up something eventually.
THANKS!
Max

BRUC3

Will the firewall have to be over the top of the tank to?

So it was literally a fuel cell enclosed in steel?

Sounds a bit overkill if that is the case?

Really looking forward to getting started on a project now! Threads like these have made me feel a lot more level headed as your all so helpfull! lol

Phaeton

Staff member
Max, Not a particularly good image but it shows the neck of the tank nowhere near the radiator, you may have to do some boxing in around the neck though, so you can claim it's not in the engine bay.

DSC00235.jpg

Bruce, Yes I think it needs to be completely sealed so you can claim it's not in the passenger compartment.

Alan...

Angel Boy

If you are boxing it up, you might as well have the filler neck coming directly out of the side of the car on a dummy side panel I guess rather then exiting into the engine bay and then being boxed in.

Does that make sense?

Andy

Phaeton

Staff member
Angel Boy":yq2owx1b said:
If you are boxing it up, you might as well have the filler neck coming directly out of the side of the car on a dummy side panel I guess rather then exiting into the engine bay and then being boxed in.

Does that make sense?

Andy

Only concern would be the seatbelt & clearance, but if that were not an issue.

I just have reservations that they may still say although boxed in behind firewalls, it is still essentially in the passenger compartment, I would want confirmation on this before going down this route.

Alan...

drew355

Just coming in new to this & read through the whole thread, so I havent any ideas on how to solve yet, but I have a bit of experiance moving tanks and fillers on the other kits I have built.

The way to look at it is imagine if your tank leaked & someone set fire to the resultant pool of petrol. If your method of shielding keeps the fuel away from you sat belted up in your car then I assume its good enough to pass. Therefore anything in or around the passenger compartment has to be totally sealed to prevent the flames/liquid from getiing to you. If the tank is in the engine bay then potentially it doesnt need that someone to set fire to it, it (or the vapours) could do it all on its own!

Rules like this seem pretty sensible, as does having the filler away from the engine bay (I wouldnt like to be stood next to the car after accidentally spillijng fuel allover a hot engine!

Having said that im a bit gutted I cant have the cool looking extinguisher/s on the back of the car.

Hmmm............ time for me to do some thinking!! Oh BTW Im a tight git too, & wouldnt pay for one of those behind seat tanks when they were allowed, so any solution for me has to be cheap!!  ;D

Im not sure how the tank in the front effectively being the front bumper complies with the protection from front impact requirement??

collie

I know I've not progressed much over the last 9 months or so, and accept I have now been officially labelled as a SLACKER but...
I have a fire extinguisher tank to fit and I've worked out that I could potentially shield off a triangular section of the off-side of the engine bay making a separate compartment, I'm hoping that this will be sufficient to satisfy VOSA?

Phaeton

Staff member
LOL@Alex (Collie)

Andy, the IVA rules appear to have relented slightly since we started this discussion, we now believe that there is only a requirement for the filler not to be in the engine bay. I now think as long as there is some form of protection/firewall between the engine heat source & the tank it will pass. The obvious place is between the OSR wheel & the clutch housing. But this is all subjective & until somebody braves it out & takes a buggy down we'll never know.

Alan...

BRUC3

So would this mean the behind the seat tank would be okay if the filler neck was moved?

Or have I completly missed the point? :S

collie

I think as long as the filler neck is shielded from the engine bay, it'd be worth a punt at sending it for an IVA  :)

Mini Mad Max

Me and my dad have made a brief design on how to bulkhead it all etc... It's gonna be a pain to make, but it seems a shame to waste such a good space for a fuel tank! All will be covered in my build diary.... when i get round to doing it or even updating the diary HAHA :D
Max

willsbuggie

It seems there are a few of us in the same situation regarding the fuel tank, Max, Collie, us, plus a few others. Has anybody come up with a design yet? coz we should all try and crack this together. If we use the extinguisher and build a firewall to keep the filler (which would need extending??) out of the engine bay area, what about a float sender for the fuel guage? Is a fuel guage required for IVA? Also the extinguisher doesn't exactly hold a lot!
Or on a different tack, we could come up with a new/better design and have a batch made up to keep the costs down.
Any thoughts from any of you tank-less Freestylers!?
Mark