VOSA Emailed over Tank

Phaeton

Staff member
Mark,

There is no requirement for a fuel gauge/sender for IVA, they don't care if you run out of fuel :)

Alan..

willsbuggie

Alan, thanks for the info, it simplifies things a bit. I know a full tank is required so I guess they'll just take the cap off and look inside.
Cheers, Mark

Phaeton

Staff member
Mark,

Only thing they want a full tank for is to work out the gross weight, when I get a bit more time tonight I'll put my thoughts down, I think they are higher up in a reply to Jason, but can't remember where.

Alan...

wagon

I just read through this post - Loads of info!

I want to figure out/get something sorted for mine asap so to summarise options/thoughts to date:

1. Behind the seat tank which fills up in engine bay
This is no good as its spout is in the same compartment as the engine, however may work if the tank was in some way screened off on all sides, and the filler neck "boxed in"
Making a tank just behind one seat makes the tunnel over the top part easier to get around?

2. "Wing" tanks - create a box running down the side of the bug, kind of between the wheels
a possibility but nobody has actually tried?

3. Extinguisher tanks
These might work if mounted above the flywheel or by moving the radiator if there was some way of creating a screen between them and the engine

4. Nose cone tank
Am i right in saying somebody looked into this and the DVLA where OK with it?
Problems include small capacity, needing to reposition the battery and would be quite exciting if you ran up somebodys arse?

In addition, the tank must:
1. Drain onto the ground if burst, and not he able to come in contact with passengers
2. Have a locking cap
3. Have an earth strap (or solid mount)

Where do people find old extinguishers by the way? how much do they hold?

Angel Boy

wagon":q499vjwt said:
4. Nose cone tank
Am i right in saying somebody looked into this and the DVLA where OK with it?
Problems include small capacity, needing to reposition the battery and would be quite exciting if you ran up somebodys arse?

It is the way I am heading (very slowly) although I've not had any confirmation from the IVA bods I'll be ok with it.  All the above problems I would agree with.  To help with the capacity problem, I've made a letter box hole in the front underneath where the front suspension sits to have the tank extend into the void.  It has been re-enforced across the bottom with angle.

Andy

wagon

I think loosing that space behind the seat is a bit of a shame. What do you make of doing this?

tankshield.png

bit hard to show what I mean but basically it covers the whole tank and spout like a hood with a kind of shield between the spout and engine. This could lend it's self to further boxing of the engine....

By cutting the floor short and attaching another xmember, it creates a self draining compartment to stop fuel entering the passenger compartment or engine

I might try and mock it up with card over the weekend but I guess I need seats in there first really  :-\

wagon

what about twin extinguishers one on each side where the "pods"/"panniers" would go?

Would probably need baffle of they were mounted long ways though....

swifthalf

i know this is an old topic but just thought my 2 pennys worth might help some one in my blitz the tank is on the front
behind the front panel well  away from the lump hope this is of some help