VW Buggy

ChaosMS

Ah yeah been in one of those, the lack of bulkhead always made me feel like my feet were going to go through the frame!! it will be a lot of fun with the vw engine it it though!! BIG SMILES ;D ;D ;D

ChaosMS

What are the dimensions of the frame you've put together so far? and can your tube bender do large radial bends like the main roll-bars on the picture

Danny

Administrator
250buggys":yy2y1ydn said:
Danny":yy2y1ydn said:
Baloo":yy2y1ydn said:
i quite like the back end on this but not sure i am going to have much body work as it get damaged on the senery lol

Good taste :D :D :D :D #mojodream

Danny, have you done anything with your mojo yet?

Nah not really... I am working on building a new shed first :D Got another addition to the fleet as well :D So really need to get some stuff built :D

Baloo

ChaosMS":3awej6k2 said:
Ah yeah been in one of those, the lack of bulkhead always made me feel like my feet were going to go through the frame!! it will be a lot of fun with the vw engine it it though!! BIG SMILES ;D ;D ;D

hi

its going to have to have a bulkhead the amount of water that would come through would be to much if i dident and that also brings me onto the throttle pedal and water , when the fly by wire pedal is in a golf its in the warm and DRY tucked up behind the dashboard when its chucking it down its still warm and dry when you are jetwashing the car its still warm and dry, in a buggy thing are so different it will get soaked in use and even more soaked when its having the mud jetwashed off not so sure it will like that very much at all, trying to water proof it might be a mission since you will have to have a fairly large slot in what ever you make to house the assembley for the pedal to move through,
so i was thinking how about mounting the accelerator pedal between the seats about where the seat belt sockets are it would be much easier to fit it in a water proof box there and then have an accelerator cable from a conventional pedal running into the tupperware flyby wire pedal box that just pulled the original pedal, much easier to seal as its just a cable in and wires out at the back, 2 bonuses i wouldent have to lengthen the fly by wire wiring as it will reach there and you could have various linkage settings where the accelerator cable joined the original pedal meaning you could restrict it to half or quarter throttle if you are letting someone else have a go ???

have a look at 44seconds in on this vid of my kinroad to see how much water suddenly desends across the dashboard/pedals, not sure a vw drive by wire accelerator pedal assembly will stand up to that ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfnoYkOgQNw

Baloo

ChaosMS":3h1wn6f2 said:
What are the dimensions of the frame you've put together so far? and can your tube bender do large radial bends like the main roll-bars on the picture

the tube bender has 2 set radi as I only bought 2 dies for it tight git that I am lol
but I also have a set of powered ring rollers these will roll long radiuses to just about any rad you want, I had to make my own tooling for this and again I think I only made 2 sizes, will check what I have but would guess its 1.5" and 2" tube

ring roller is the blue machine in the back ground on this pic

will let you know what size tooling I have

250buggys

Baloo":1ijcoi2h said:

The Acewell 260 is a decent enough dash, I had the Vapor before and liked that.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/TrailTech-Indi ... SwjXNa61ph

I am finished wiring up to it now. To answer your question I added a terratrip so I could use the speedo drive cable instead of a magnet, apparently helps to stop erratic readings.

I also added one of these, you may also need to tuck one in your loom to meet the iva fog light requirements.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cartek-Fog-Lig ... SwGYVW95On

Baloo

250buggys":1qz1zj37 said:
Baloo":1qz1zj37 said:

The Acewell 260 is a decent enough dash, I had the Vapor before and liked that.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/TrailTech-Indi ... SwjXNa61ph

I am finished wiring up to it now. To answer your question I added a terratrip so I could use the speedo drive cable instead of a magnet, apparently helps to stop erratic readings.

I also added one of these, you may also need to tuck one in your loom to meet the iva fog light requirements.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cartek-Fog-Lig ... SwGYVW95On

thank you for that i will have a mooch around ebay and see whats on offer

mean while in other news another golf came to live with me ;)
it was cheap and it was just up the road, and i like red lol

ok it was a bit broken but only a bit i dont need
most extreme case of negative camber I have seen for a long while

Baloo

it will indeed
it came with broken rear suspension but on inspection it was an easy fix, very poor design by vw imho looks like 1" 16g box section for the arms that hold the rear hub in position, both ears where it bolts to the hub had snapped off AGAIN ! still with it being made of steel it was a 5 min job with the welder, if I was designing suspension arms they would be a lot stronger than that, any way its done and driving about now all fine and dandy, sure has some grip being 4 wheel drive no matter how hard I tried I couldent get the back end out down the lane lol

it tidied up nicely just got to stop myself tinkering with it now and stick to what I already have, this can be the MK 2 buggy with 4 WD
sure has some grunt

broken rear arm

Baloo

not much progress on the buggy over the last 3 weeks couple of reasons, I have space in a big metal barn and as its been sunny for a while it becomes unbearable in the metal barn far to uncomfortable to work in there for long anyway , the other reason is my space in there keeps getting over run by other stuff/people and I cant move, it dosent matter how big your shed is it will never be big enough, space is like a crap magnet it just attracts junk lol, and of course in the winter the opposite is true a metal barn is to cold and your spanners freeze to the bench every night

so to try and improve the situation I decided I would build a 15 ft square wooden garage in the corner of the barn which I could lock up to keep the crap from getting in
6" thick walls with 4" of polystyrene in them its cool in there now and I will be able to heat in the winter

had a boat load of carpet tile given to me so they are now fixed on 3 of the walls the 4th wall is going to have a full size print of an F1 pit stop in full swing just to make it a bit interesting
its nearly finished so buggy build will resume next week I hope

heres the F1 pic, just got to down load the original and print it 15' by 7'

ChaosMS

Shed in a shed eh - nice one! I like the TV on one wall and the whiteboard on the other!!

Is that a Jago I see outside the doors?

As for the golf - i dont know what you use to clean your engines (but I would like to) as it seems to bring engine bays up beautifully

Baloo

hi chaos
how goes your engine conversion

yes a jago jeep, picked it up engineless of ebay the other day, I have always had a hankering for a model T bucket and came across this a while ago

its a genuine jago model t body but alas there was no log book or number plates so I was going to lift the jago jeep body of its chassis and fit the t bucket and then apply to dvla for a re body and see if they will change the log book to read jago model T as the genuine ones did, can but try

as for cleaning the engines I am afraid its granma's secret recipe she would string me up by my nuts if I spilled the beans on a forum

ChaosMS

ha ha how much space do you have????? T Bucket looks in good shape, will it fit the jeep frame ok?

As for the engine conversion it has stalled due to another project needing building first before I can continue!! pics soon if it works :)

Ahhh shame about the recipe, whatever it is its bloody good !!

Baloo

ChaosMS":2ixn0jbc said:
ha ha how much space do you have????? T Bucket looks in good shape, will it fit the jeep frame ok?

As for the engine conversion it has stalled due to another project needing building first before I can continue!! pics soon if it works :)

Ahhh shame about the recipe, whatever it is its bloody good !!

never enough space is the answer i guess, but part of the reason for biulding a shed in a shed was the space above becomes usable so i have made space not used it up, should be able to get 3 cars on the shed roof lol

T bucket is in good shape and yes it looks like it will fit on the jago chassis with no modifications will have to have fenders though to hide the front struts but hey hoe

and there is no secret recipy lol you just need a good steam cleaner, it got to be hot just a pressure washer wont do the trick, imagine doing the washing up with cold water dosent work does it, what i do is spray every thing with diesel in a garden sprayer bottle a couple of days before i want to steam clean, diesel has this quality of creeping everywhere so it creeps under all the dirt muck crap and lifts if off so the steam cleaner just blows it away

and the shed is near enough to get back in and start work on the buggy again