VW Buggy

ChaosMS

Looking good what you need in your new workshop is my latest project.. she should be on her wheels tomorrow so I will take some photos, it would look quite good sat in there though no doubt you would end up improving on my design!!!!

My biggest issue is space - having only a single garage to work in you need to get creative sometimes!!

I must admit your bending machine has done a lovely job of that box section it looks a good clean curve without any distortion.

I like the episode of Shooter on in the background - you've gotta have your distractions in your man cave, or whats the point!!

Baloo

looking forward to photos of what ever it is
and yes I am fortunate with regard to space I can spread out a bit at times
shooter was just the next film on Netflix haven't seen it I was testing the wifi
which was having trouble as its at the other end of the barn and the signal kept dropping out and Netflix stalling
so I had just fitted one of these from screwfix in the garage, seems to work fine streams faultlessly now

Baloo

I got side tracked in the garage today was going to work on the buggy but the jago was calling my name out
T bucket dident fit as well as I hoped but I think it will eventually

this is what I am aiming for

ChaosMS

Looking good Andy, those front shock mounts are going to be fun but I am sure you'll sort it!!

The little side project I am working on is a buggy scissor lift!! - I needed a way to move the buggy out of the garage when it has no wheels, originally I was just going to build a table I could drop the buggy on that had big castors, then one night I saw a video of a guy in the US that had built a adjustable welding table - not quite what I wanted but gave me the idea so I drew it up I and added a manual hydraulic cylinder to do the lifting. The plan was to make it as low as possible then I could leave it in the middle of the garage and just drive over it when not in use, and if I made the top large enough it could become a build table for the next buggy !!

So after a bit of head scratching I came up with this:-
ab0b5be5-f68d-4705-8b6e-e92054f42809.jpg

over the last few weeks I sourced all the parts (160mm 500kg load castors, 8 ton hydraulic cylinder, steel, nuts bolts and odds & sods!) and set to - this is the build so far:

ca755481-1848-4b53-ebea-443f46f90d97.jpg

b78aa3a2-efca-43a7-8a33-ab2f72cd6f12.jpg

efd0a6fd-a055-4dda-a0c4-c7172162e6e7.jpg

fe316b3e-099c-4a85-d14b-8c5ea0d92b4b.jpg

5f31e4c6-3d63-4ef2-873f-556b983abaab.jpg

4f27b8f6-d38a-4421-aac2-e10bd6de526a.jpg

so its coming on quite well I just ordered the final parts laser cut from a local company as A- they need to be accurate and B- I wanted to see what they would be like with a small set of parts before sending the parts for the buggy to be cut!

another weekend should see it just about complete

Rich

Danny

Administrator
ChaosMS":3t1za29z said:
Looking good Andy, those front shock mounts are going to be fun but I am sure you'll sort it!!

The little side project I am working on is a buggy scissor lift!! - I needed a way to move the buggy out of the garage when it has no wheels, originally I was just going to build a table I could drop the buggy on that had big castors, then one night I saw a video of a guy in the US that had built a adjustable welding table - not quite what I wanted but gave me the idea so I drew it up I and added a manual hydraulic cylinder to do the lifting. The plan was to make it as low as possible then I could leave it in the middle of the garage and just drive over it when not in use, and if I made the top large enough it could become a build table for the next buggy !!

So after a bit of head scratching I came up with this:-
ab0b5be5-f68d-4705-8b6e-e92054f42809.jpg

over the last few weeks I sourced all the parts (160mm 500kg load castors, 8 ton hydraulic cylinder, steel, nuts bolts and odds & sods!) and set to - this is the build so far:

ca755481-1848-4b53-ebea-443f46f90d97.jpg

b78aa3a2-efca-43a7-8a33-ab2f72cd6f12.jpg

efd0a6fd-a055-4dda-a0c4-c7172162e6e7.jpg

fe316b3e-099c-4a85-d14b-8c5ea0d92b4b.jpg

5f31e4c6-3d63-4ef2-873f-556b983abaab.jpg

4f27b8f6-d38a-4421-aac2-e10bd6de526a.jpg

so its coming on quite well I just ordered the final parts laser cut from a local company as A- they need to be accurate and B- I wanted to see what they would be like with a small set of parts before sending the parts for the buggy to be cut!

another weekend should see it just about complete

Rich

I wish I had those skills

Baloo

that's pretty cool, I might need to copy it lol, I just put my "chassis" on the bench the roll bar will hit the roof when I get to that point lol

Baloo

I actually found time to work on the buggy, I needed some way of having a reference for the strut top position , soooo
I welded some lazer cut discs onto the strut tops on the remains of the shell

this then allowed me to bolt into the 12mm hole in the discs some 12mm bolts which I then welded to some 1" box which was welded to the subframes

Baloo

the sections of box that I welded to the subframes are the same width as the assembly bench to help with alignment
but I am not going to have enough head room lol
might need a variable height bench lol

ChaosMS

Danny - lol cheers mate!! needs must mate when you only have a single garage! - I bet you could build this easy we could have a few built on the forums!!
Andy looking very good i like the idea of welding the discs to get the reference points - you are welcome to have the plans for the scissor lift bud, (as are you Danny) when its fully folded away it sits approx 250mm high from the floor (at least thats what the model says anyway) so Dannys machine would need ramps!!

I look forward to seeing this machine take shape! and every time you post a pic i see another car lurking in the background like the two shells on the roof in the background ::) ::)

Baloo

space is a curse it attracts junk lol
the red shell is the complete jago I have put it up on the shelf to concentrate on the buggy

the Dutton melos went up there too, just want to work on the buggy for a while now

Danny

Administrator
Baloo":2wa045l5 said:
space is a curse it attracts junk lol
the red shell is the complete jago I have put it up on the shelf to concentrate on the buggy

the Dutton melos went up there too, just want to work on the buggy for a while now

I have never had sooo much space and yet I am struggling for storage

Baloo

found a bit of time to work on the buggy first job was to copy over the engine mounting positions

then I needed to work out how to bolt the golf subframes into my chassis

Baloo

hello boys

had a bit of an enforced break, our travelling friends broke into the workshop and smashed the place up nicked a load of tools and then trashed my transit to boot, lost my mojo for a while but it has slowly returned and I got back on it the last day or so

still working out the final shape but I think I know where I am going

Baloo

I originally thought using the golf subframes was the way to go but have changed my mind on that they look a bit ugly
so I see this buggy as a prototype and once up and running I can use it as a jig to make another buggy where the wishbones bolt straight into the frame with no subframes

Baloo

also having played with all the golf suspension I have come to the conclusion that a vw passat might have been a better base vehicle

and to that end have acquired a v6 syncro all wheel drive passat for the next one :eek: