Mr Bumble's Phaeton's Discussion Thread

Baloo

coming along at a pace Alan, be very intrested to hear your thoughts on how it performs compared to the A seires power and how the ride is with hydro suspension
l also thought about linking the rear spheres (briefly) so as l would have just one valve but came to the conclusion rightly or wrongly that when taking a left hand corner the car will lean to the right and push the fluid through the inteconecting pipe into the the left hand sphere pushing the passenger side up whilst lowering the drivers side, the exact opposite of what you want ? l think what you have done sounds better

Andy

Phaeton

Staff member
This was my thought exactly & why I didn't do it, I remember seeing a diagram years ago of the Mini/1300 where it showed that the front wheel going over a bump pushed fluid to the back raising it so you got a smoother ride. But Jon last night reckoned that wasn't the case & the transfer of fluid is slow, so not sure.

On another note I've been assured that you can successfully redrill MGF hubs to Mini PCD with no issues, there's a guy in Leeds that has done it several times http://www.force-racing.co.uk/ I also called round at MK Engineering last night & Martin said he probably could do them for £20 if it was just the flange. Problem I'm told is that to get the flange out you have to use a BIG press & then a new bearing

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Slightly distracted at the moment, getting this through it's MOT

IMAG0211.jpg

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Just been into the garage, the floor is covered in green wee, plugs & jubilee clips don't work :(

Alan...

Baloo

Phaeton":mzqkbxq4 said:
Just been into the garage, the floor is covered in green wee, plugs & jubilee clips don't work :(

Alan...

lol green wee,

l thought you were optomistic using jubilee clips even when stationary, hitting a bump would send the pressures soaring,
you gave me a little chuckle when you said you would rather spend a few bob on fittings and do it properly rather than weld it up permantly

"going to take them down to the local hydraulics firm to see if they can provide fittings to seal them, somebody did mention on another site about just welding them up, but for the price of a few fittings I'd prefer a proper approach."

there's plenty of meat in the pipe when you cut the end off l would think tapping it and screwing in a blanking plug might be an option also

spheres004Medium.jpg

spheres008Medium.jpg

Andy

Baloo

nother idea, cut the end of like l have in the first pic and then tap the hole at 1/8 bsp ( l think) and screw in a little pressure gauge,
that would seal the hole up and allow you to keep an eye on the pressures which would be intresting when setting up and to see what happens to the pressure over time

Andy

edit

a couple of these sort of gauge's, small back entry, would seal of the pipe a treat, need to check the pressure range though
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIKA-Pressure ... 336d59d6e5

Phaeton

Staff member
Yep owned on that one, I'll go back tell them it didn't work & let them crimp a proper connector on.

Those little gauges say 235psi so not hight enough, Jon pit 350 in, daft thing is it held for 4 days & not been moved.

Alan...

Steves2580

Mary's hydrogas system is set at 400psi

I've never checked it since the conversion, better have a look this weekend!!

Steve ;D

P.S. Build/conversion is coming on well, so Mr B will be at Stoneleigh then??

Steves2580

Alan,

Why have you left the cat in the exhaust system??
The K series engine will run a lot cleaner than the A series and you didn't have a cat on that!!

Sorry to pick at your build :(

Steve ;)

Phaeton

Staff member
Not a problem Steve, due to having a private plate ALZ on it I have to take evidence of engine age to get it MOT'd so it will be tested as a 1995 but it may fall off after ;)

Alan

Post left via Tapatalk glad it's not an Apple GayPhone

BRUC3

Looking good Alan!

The whole light stalk problem made me chuckle! Silly things like that tickle me!

esdebe

I need a rear danny bar... where can I get one... preferably one with a flip function like the winning robots on robot wars used to have....

Danny

Administrator
Just as long as you have brake lights that would be more helpful..lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Mini Mad Max

Don't worry alan, my garage looks just as messy :) Loving the tank though. You're going to have to polish everything else up on the buggy now otherwise the tank will look out of place ;) Heh Heh Heh! I want to see more shiny bits!
Max

wagon

How does that tube thing work as a sender then? I need to do something with mine - I'm using strips of card to dip the tank at the moment :D

Phaeton

Staff member
Mini Mad Max":bk4fsc3m said:
You're going to have to polish everything else up on the buggy now otherwise the tank will look out of place

I have a cunning plan, I'm going to hide it behind the seats so you can't see it & raise the tone of the buggy.

wagon":bk4fsc3m said:
How does that tube thing work as a sender then? I need to do something with mine - I'm using strips of card to dip the tank at the moment :D

It's a float inside the tube which goes up & down on a set of wires, the lower it gets the bigger the resistance making the gauge drop down to empty. If you need one round 300mm the Simon may have one for sale. You may also need a little unit to match it the Mini gauge, which you can get off the tinternet

Alan..